Rotary Club of Totnes Privacy Notice
The Rotary Club of Totnes (“we”) promise to respect the confidentiality of any personal data you share with us, to keep it safe, and to take every effort to protect your privacy. We pride ourselves on our honesty and openness and will always be clear how, when and why we collect and process your information; we promise we will never do anything with your details that you wouldn’t reasonably expect.
We collect information in the following ways:
When you give it to us DIRECTLY There are many ways you may give us your information. For example, when you join as a member, begin volunteering, donate, or communicate with us either by phone, in writing, including email or in person. We are responsible for your data at all times.
When you give it to us INDIRECTLY Your information may be shared with us by independent organisations, for example sites like Virgin Money Giving or BT MyDonate or other such services. These independent third parties will only share your information when you have consented. You should check their Privacy Notice when you provide your information to understand fully how they will process your data.
Via Social Media Depending on your settings or the privacy notices for social media and messaging services like Facebook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn or Twitter, you might give us permission to access information from those accounts or services.
What personal information we collect and how we use it We will only ever capture the minimum amount of information that we need to in relation to your membership or donation and we promise to keep your information secure. The personal data we will usually collect for membership purposes is:
- Your name
- Your contact details
- Your date of birth
- Your Rotary membership category
- Where it is appropriate, we may also ask for additional information
- How we will use your data We will use your personal data for the legitimate interest of conducting club business activities, these will include:
- Administer your membership or donation, including processing Gift Aid
- Communicating organisational messages and information to members, district and club officers
- Facilitate conference, training seminars, meetings and other special event planning
- Supporting ‘The Rotarian’ and ‘Rotary’ magazines
- Supporting The Rotary Foundation (TRF) and the Rotary Foundation United Kingdom
- Providing information and updates to district and club officers on RI and RIBI programmes and service projects
- Preparation of Rotary directories
- Identifying candidates for Presidential and Foundation appointments to conferences.
- Appointments to committees, club and district offices, task forces and other assignments within the Rotary organisation
- To present our website and its contents to you and to allow you to participate in interactive features on our website
- Keep a record of your relationship with us
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information
- For any other purposes with your consent
- Sensitive information We do not collect any personal information on members classified as ‘sensitive’ under GDPR.
Interact, Rotakids and under 18’s data
We do not collect information from under 18’s.
Data Sharing In the course of our legitimate business activities, there may be a need for us to share, or give access to, your personal data to third parties for instance:
- HMRC – for Gift Aid details
- Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland (RIBI)
- Rotary International (RI)
- The Rotary Foundation (TRF)
- Rotary Foundation United Kingdom (RFUK)
- RIBI Donations TrustSharing with other third parties We will never commercially sell your personal data to anyone else. We will only ever share your personal data in other circumstances, not listed above, if we have your explicit and informed consent at the time of collection. However, we may need to disclose your details if required to the police, other agencies, regulatory bodies or our legal advisors.Where we store your information Your personal information will be hosted securely within the UK. However, Rotary International run its operations outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Although they may not be subject to the same data protection laws as organisations based in the UK, we will take steps to make sure they provide an adequate level of protection in accordance with UK data protection law. By submitting your personal information to us you understand your personal data will be transferred, stored and processed at a location outside the EEA. Individual members are responsible for keeping their own personal data up to date and have access to the RIBI Data Management System (DMS) or My Rotary on the RIBI website for this purpose. In addition, where necessary, we will keep your information accurate and up-to-date.
- Your rights The General Data Protection Regulations gives you certain rights and these are listed below for your convenience, further clarification of your rights is available on the Information Commissioners website
- How long we retain your information and how we keep it up to date We will only keep your information for as long as we need it to assist you with your Rotary membership. There are statutory timescales on how long we should keep your information, for example, gift aid transactions must be retained indefinitely, financial records must be kept for 7 years, information associated with Health & Safety for three years after an event. We shall delete your information according to these statutory limits, or according to guidance issued by the Information Commissioner.
- How we keep your information safe and who has access to it We ensure that there are appropriate physical and technical controls in place to protect your personal details. We have a duty to report certain types of personal data breaches to the relevant supervisory authority, and where feasible, we will do this within 72 hours of becoming aware of the breach. If a breach is detected and likely to result in a high risk of adversely affecting you, we will inform you without undue delay.
- You have a right to be informed when your personal data is being collected, what is collected and how it will be used or shared.
- You have a right of access to your personal data: the right of access allows you to be aware of and verify the lawfulness of the processing of your personal data. Members have access to their personal data via self-service systems such as the RIBI Data Management System (DMS) or My Rotary via the RI website. You can also request a copy of the information which we hold on you. This information will be provided free of charge, unless the request is found to be manifestly unfounded or excessive then a reasonable fee will be charged. The application should be made in writing, by letter or email, and addressed to the Club Secretary. You have a right in certain circumstances to have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked (restrict processing), erased (right to be forgotten), or destroyed.
- You have a right in certain circumstances to data portability.Changes to this privacy notice We may change this privacy Notice from time to time. If we make any significant changes in the way we treat your personal information we will make this clear on our website www.rotarygbi.org or by notifying you directly.
- Finally, if you are unhappy with how we have processed your information, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Office of the Information Commissioner, contact details below.
Our contact details The Secretary, Rotary Club of Totnes, 9 Barton Leys, Berry Pomeroy, Totnes TQ9 6NN
Complaints If you are unhappy with how we have processed your personal information, please firstly contact the Secretary, details above. If you are still unhappy you may contact the following:
Information Commissioner’s Office Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Helpline: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or ++44 1625 545 745
[This privacy notice was last reviewed and updated 22 May 2018]